Monday, July 13, 2009

Week 6 Thing 14 Technorati

I find that this site has too much information for me. Perhaps, I just need to spend some more time learning how to filter properly the results I am interested in. I have found that there are a lot of results that have little to do with what I am interested in. Even when I searched using the tags only I get a lot of results that seem extraneous. However, searching tags was likely to get me closer to what I wanted to find. I am not convinced that this tool will become as much a part of my technical life as the RSS reader has. Although, I could be surprised when I get back into looking for information. During summer vacation I do not spend much time looking things up. It probably doesn't help that I am currently away from my own computer and my own space and my nice internet connection. This means that I am at the mercy of the internet connections I can find while I am away and often have to wait a long time for the search results to load, only to be annoyed by the results I didn't want.

I like the concept of tagging sites, pictures etc so that I can find things I am looking for with less trouble. However, I do not like that some tags are used just to get you to a site that has nothing to do with anything I am interested in. This did not happen when I searched something very specific like School Library Learning 2.0, but instead when I did a broad search for things like education or math.

3 comments:

  1. Most of the good blogs and feeds that I have found have been through recommendations and professional reading. Even at that, I still have more blogs than I can keep up with and I know that there are others out there that I am not reading....but I wouldn't be in contact with even the info that I am able to keep up with if I didn't do the RSS so it is definitely a win.

    I find googleblog search better than technorati. I know that techno... is supposed to be the supper blog index but I just don't find it as useful myself.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about Technorati. There is just too much information that comes up and so little of it is good. I really did not find a single blog that I was interested in pursuing or that even was particularly pertinent to my query. I think I agree with Ann about friend or colleague recommendations being the best way to get blogs--it is certainly true with websites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with the both of you and with Ann about recommendations being the best way to get blogs.

    ReplyDelete