Monday, June 8, 2009

Week 2 thing 3

Creating my own blog was very straightforward. I like the look of the background and found a few things to change to suit my style. My daughter and I had a fabulous time creating the avatar. I did have a little trouble getting my avatar to show up as I had left the settings the default GIF and this site wants JPEG.
I noticed that there was a lot of content available for my avatar that I would not want my daughter using on an avatar for herself. She commented to me that she can't wait until she is old enough to have her own avatar and I just cringed. There were several outfits that were too risque for me to use professionally and this makes me wonder if using an avatar from this site would be useful in my classroom? I want to believe that my students would choose the right way to dress themselves, but I know that it would be easy for them to cross my line. I suppose it would be just like the dress code we adhere to at school and if they didn't follow it there would be sanctions.

1 comment:

  1. Trouble shooting the upload end is one of the things that can be really frustrating about adding things to a blog. Sounds like you did a great job working that out.

    As for the digital presence for your daughter, it is an ongoing issue but one that we as educators and adults need to remember is not going to go away. I am not sure exactly how to do it....but we need to teach about how to create an online identity that represents what we really want others to see. One of the things that I find so often with kids is that they don't have a real understanding of how these identities follow them for years and how they never go away. Of course, many are created in a time when thinking in the long term is not a real strength but a gal I graduated high school with now works as an HR manager for a major company and she was telling me about how something that you think is cute at 20 can lose you a job at 30. Companies now routinely check what kind of internet presence people they are thinking about hiring.

    There are a lot of of places to create Avatars. I will post a list of them to thing 3.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete