Friday, June 26, 2009

Week 4 Thing 8

I have not used any RSS feeds before. I decided to use Google Reader since I have been using other Google products. I found a few sites to subscribe to and made the mistake of clicking on the add staff picks link. It was impressive that in the 15 sites they subscribed me to I didn't find a single one that was interesting. I figure they are from a different era. So, I had to learn how to unsubscribe. You can unsubscribe each one individually, but I knew there had to be a better way and I found it. Manage your subscriptions allows you to massively unsubscribe, whew! I am hoping to find a subscription that will help me with creating math competitions. I like giving my students challenging non-routine questions but it is difficult and time consuming to find good ones. I found one site so far that seems to be close to what I am thinking about so I will continue searching. I also added some news sites and one on backpacking for variety. I found where I can share my feeds with contacts, but I am not certain I can share publically like you can with bloglines. I am hoping to get some good information and news.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't want to change my above post as I discovered this later. I can share my shared blogs through Google Reader. I can post them to this blog in the upper left corner, this was done from the shared items tab, add a clip to your web site or blog. I can also provide a link like bloglines; http://www.google.com/reader/shared/06789858849678454511
    Since I recently joined in Bloglines I have a link for that too.
    http://www.bloglines.com/public/ladypaax@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The difference between the google version and the bloglines version is that I am sharing specific posts. The link I provided above is also incorrect, the one you want is http://www.bloglines.com/public/ladypaax

    Is there an easy way to edit a comment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I haven't found an easy way to edit comments. That is one downfall of blogspot (though I haven't used any other blog sites so I don't know how it is handled in other programs.

    I have to admit that for a long time I just didn't see the point in using RSS until I took this class myself and then Oh Boy did I see the error of my ways. :-)

    I have to be really selective in what blogs I subscribe to as they can become completely overwhelming. I couldn't keep up with this class otherwise.

    ReplyDelete