Sunday, June 28, 2009

Week 4 Thing 9

I probably spent way more time on this thing than I should have. I got curious enough that I signed up also for Bloglines. It helped that I discovered there are free RSS readers for my iPhone which will put my Google Reader and my Bloglines account in one place. I knew that if this wasn't connected to my phone I would not use it. I rarely check my email on my computer anymore, just my phone. So, realistically I wouldn't check my readers either. I have only just installed the application so I will have to update my iPhone post later once I figure out if I like it or not. As for searching for blogs here are some notes about what I found.
Blogdigger: When I searched 'math' only got ads from google and no blogs relating to what I wanted. For example the first result was top 13 American Idol from March 11, 2009. Not very useful.
BlogPulse: Searched CSLA 2.0 and got one related conversation, this doesn't seem that useful yet but I am willing to try it again sometime.
Google Blog Search: Found Raven About Web 2.0, searched math found several sites and gave suggestions for the best ones. I like this one best so far.
Bloglines Search: When I searched 'math' I got a lot of random posts, but under the matching feeds I found a few that seemed interesting. One was a video podcasting site about Algebra I, so I didn't link that to my RSS readers. I found another about math games online, so I subscribed to this one.
From Edublog: hard to see what would be interesting, since you only get a title you are judging each book by the cover. I don't have time to click on all of those to see what I would really be interested in.
Topix: Wow! Lots of distraction, would be easy to waste a day here. Several news items pop up automatically, similar to MSN or Yahoo! home pages. Search for math only gives news items so, not what I am looking for.
SYndic8: Only gives titles, judging books by covers again.
Technorati: You can change search paramaters but still gives a lot of junk unless I search for blogs instead of posts. Apparently, somewhere in this post, College Life: Beer Booze and Barfing, there is the word math. I didn't read it all to find out.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my....beer, booze AND barfing....who could resist???? I like Google blog search the best as well. I know that Technorati is all that....but I just don't get good results with it.

    Most of the blogs that I subscribe to are ones that have been recommended to me by colleagues. I find that I weed out a lot of the junk up front that way. Still, it takes commitment to actually read them and keep up. If I haven't checked them in a few days I end up just marking them all read and moving forward.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the commitment to read is much easier with the RSS reader installed on my phone. The portability of it makes it so I will actually check it. There were several options listed. This is the review on some different RSS reader apps for the iPhone that I read. http://www.macworld.com/article/140310/2009/05/rssreaders.html?lsrc=rss_main

    ReplyDelete