Monday, June 22, 2009

Week 3 Thing 6

I tried out Flickr Color Pickr and Montagr
I found that the Montagr is a great idea but I had a lot of trouble getting it to use one of my own pictures. I would love to have something that is mine. I did find another site designamosaic.com that is very easy to use, but is not free. The smallest mosaic they have is $25. I am not interested in that either. I did a search and did find another place, PicArtia that will create a mosaic for you free, but the quality is low. You also do not get to use your own pictures in the mashup.
The Flickr Color Pickr was fun, but I am unsure where I would use it. I did notice that if you pick the same spot multiple times you get new results each time. Therefore, if you don't like the first options you get try again.

2 comments:

  1. Good afternoon.

    Were you using pictures that you had already uploaded to a flickr account? That may make a difference in being able to use your own pictures. Sounds like you did a lot of exploring on this. :-) That is what the class is all about.

    As for using the service. I wonder if there is a way it could be an option for kids to use as part of an assignment? There is also a program called Flickrstorm that allows you to preselect pictures that students can use and search by creative commons license. A good oportunity to talk to kids about ethical use of visual materials.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had students in one 5th grade class who found pictures from Worldbook online and Discovery. Their assignment was to create a mashup of Lincoln's life for his Bicentennial celebration. It was a very guided lesson, but they had fun and were engaged researching the life and presidency of Honest Abe.
    Susan Koike

    ReplyDelete