Monday, June 29, 2009

Week 5 Thing 11

When asked to find one award winning site to explore I ended up opening a bunch of them in new tabs and narrowing the field a bit. There were several that at least at first piqued my interest. I did find that I was very drawn toward the entertaining sites. I ended up trying Last.fm since I have been a pandora user before and this one got first, while pandora got second. The basic premise of both is the same. You tell the program a particular artist you enjoy listening to and the program devises songs that you may like based on that information. I really enjoy tools like pandora because I do not get out much and finding new artists to listen to is not something I normally do. The only option I brainstormed on how I can use this in my classroom or the library is to keep in touch with the younger generations musical tastes. It is a stretch I know. I have been known to play music in my classroom during work time but I have a feeling this site is blocked at school because most other streaming music is. I do like the music it has selected for me. I like that there is an app for my phone so I can use this on the go. I like the ease of use. The only negative I have found is that I don't think I can use this at school. However, since stress relief is an important aspect of my profession I know I can use this to help with that. I did glance at some of the other more education minded tools, but they didn't grab me right away as something I would use.

I signed up for a ning account awhile back when it was going to be used for our next textbook adoption, however, it wasn't used much so I haven't done much with that. I also have an account with http://education.ning.com/ but I haven't used this one either. I started a page here because some of my sorority sisters were interested in finding a way to keep in touch. I posted one thread which asked,"What would we do with a ning site?" intending to ask my sorority sisters what they wanted to do with this site. However, I got a lot of responses from random people about what I should do with my site.

2 comments:

  1. Ning is an interesting phenomena. I have one for the ASD Librarians and the use is very uneven. Partially, I think, because I myself don't take enough time to put really thought provoking questions on there. However, when there is a topic on their that is near and dear to many hearts (length of call numbers comes to mind) then it is heavily used for a short time.

    I have used it very effectively for a class so that participants could have discussions on particular reading assignments and could post their annotated bibliography entries for the professional articles they read. While the class was going on it was used, but again, when the class was over, the posting stopped. I think we are all struggling with how to use some of these web2.0 tools effectively.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find comfort in knowing that the Librarian Ning and Wiki is always there for us to use. I know there are mixed emotions about the Ning, but I find it a great place for us to share our thoughts in a non ASD environment (ie e-mail). My biggest obstacle is finding the time to actually get there! Ann is definitely our fearless leader and introduces valuable tools to help us integrate technology for our students.
    Susan =]

    ReplyDelete